Posts tagged religion
“ If my father were alive today, he would be in his 90s. He grew up financially well off in the Depression but his disinheritance by his father and service in WWII opened his eyes to the suffering of most of the world. He did not contribute to charitable religious organizations, preferring to support governmental or secular groups. Here’s why: I vividly remember driving by the Salvation Army store one day, and my father saying he wouldn’t give them a cent. When I asked why, he said, “they make those poor bastards say a prayer before they’ll give them a hot meal.” He believed, rightly or not I cannot say, that religious charities served the poor only to recruit them to their faith. The thought of a man bending his knee to a god he didn’t believe in, in exchange for a hot meal, made my father sick. Government doesn’t make you say a prayer before they give you a hot meal. This has always been a very powerful argument, to me, for supporting public social programs over private charity.”
A Dish Reader
Absolutely believe the same thing. Some fellow students and myself tried to start a non-denominational soup kitchen program when I was in college (location: central Indiana) and it was supremely difficult. The Christian organizations didn’t want the “atheists” (we were not an atheist organization) cutting into their territory. They did not even want to work with us.
There are two kinds of Atheists I know (actually, the classification goes for all religions, not just Atheism):
1. Respectable Ones who would never reblog this because they understand the meaning of word respect and actually support Religious Freedom and Tolerance
2. Retarded Idiots unaware that they are identical to people they claim to despise, unable to resist mocking other religions and acting all “Holier-Than-Thou”… and never realize what bunch of Pieces of Shit they are
Whoever proudly reblogs this picture is nothing else but another over-zealous ass-hole of class #2, throwing even more oil into shameful fire that should not exist.
Sorry followers for venting like this, but this arrogance always pisses me off. No, this is not post against Atheism, just against Religious Intolerance. If you have a grudge against some Christians, than specify attacking them not everyone in a religion.
And this picture is attack on an entire religion and as a Catholic, I am thoroughly insulted to be called a Blind Primitive Murderous Genocidal Idiot who supports Slavery, Public Humiliation, War and Hatred (and ironically, the very picture is Atheistic Humiliation, Hatred and Ignorance). It is not only an attack on our religion, but also us as people.
And if you agree with the above picture, you agree I am such so, PLEASE, unfollow me (and yes, I did unfollow the person who posted this… this was not her first attack but it was a drop that spilled the glass (or however it is said in English)). I don’t want any connections with people who accuse me of something I am not.
I am actually thoroughly amused by this response.
This is a perfect example of not being able to distinguish between the religion itself, and a person who believes that religion.
This image is doing nothing, NOTHING, but pointing out truths about a holy book. It is not attacking the people who believe in said holy book.
Yet here we have a self confessed Catholic taking extreme offense.
I wonder why? Is it because they don’t agree with these points? Well, that’s silly, because every single thing on this image can be pointed out in the book, chapter and verse.
Which makes me think they’re rather insecure about their religion.
On a side note:
- Atheism is not a religion, it is a lack of religion.
- Atheists do not need to be ‘respectful’ of any religion - you need to earn respect, and if you haven’t earned it, you’re not going to get it.
- ‘Retarded idiots’ is a very telling bit of abelism. Nice.
- ‘Mocking’ is one of the best ways to get across that religions are ridiculous - if you can laugh at it, it makes people wonder why. If it worries you, try reading about why we mock, instead of deciding outright that we’re all just ‘pieces of shit’. You might learn something.
- I am truly laughing at being called ‘holier than thou’ - seriously.
- Oh, arrogant as well. Interesting.
- This post is not attacking Christians, it is pointing out exactly what can actually find in the holy book itself. Go ahead, I dare you to prove me wrong here.
- You - and other believers - are not being called ‘blind’ etc - the image is sayign that the Bible supports blind, baseless belief, etc. Methinks you doth protest too much.
- I repeat, you were not accused of anything.
Haha, it’s tough when your bullshit gets called, huh? And for the record, I couldn’t give a fuck if someone like you thinks I’m one of the “respectable ones”. Shove your respect up your ass.